[opencms-dev] Installing OpenCMS and migrating data/settings from another (older) installation

Stefanie Juliane Schmidt sjs at act-consulting.de
Wed Oct 14 13:50:48 CEST 2009

Hello!

I have some problems in setting up OpenCms, and I hope someone on this
list could help me.

For my system: I use Debian and already installed Java and Tomcat, but
I'm still a newbie on Linux.

How can I migrate OpenCms to another server (where testings shall take
place)? I would like to set up everything on that new server exactly as
on the old one.

As it says on
http://www.opencms.org/en/development/installation/server.html#a4 I
placed the opencms.war in the folder CATALINA_HOME/webapps/. Restarting
of Tomcat5.5 created a directory /var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps/opencms/,
which now contains the directories META-INF, setup and WEB-INF.

On the old server these and the directories resources and export are
contained in /var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps/ROOT/.

Also $CATALINA_HOME is the path /usr/share/tomcat5.5 with me (I used the
script in http://www.installationwiki.org/OpenCms#Linux_Configuration,
and those *.sh's are all in that directory).

That's not how it's supposed to be, is it? How can I fix this?

And how should I import all the settings from the other (older) server?

Another problem is: I checked
http://www.installationwiki.org/OpenCms#Check_Your_Configuration: When I
try to access localhost:8080, I get the message "Failed to Connect",
whereas localhost:80 works fine (I get a webpage, saying "It works!).
How can I adjust the firewall settings - assuming it is a firewall
problem?

Also how do you read the documentation in
http://www.opencms.org/en/modules/downloads/dl_dochow_httpd_7.0.0.html.

As I downloaded it, I got a manifest.xml-file and some cryptic
html-files, which I don't know how to read.

Thank you very much for your help!

Jane