[opencms-dev] Installing OpenCMS and migratingdata/settingsfromanother (older) installation

Stefanie Juliane Schmidt sjs at act-consulting.de
Thu Oct 15 16:06:30 CEST 2009

Von: opencms-dev-bounces at opencms.org
[mailto:opencms-dev-bounces at opencms.org] Im Auftrag von Schliemann, Kai
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 14. Oktober 2009 16:08
An: The OpenCms mailing list
Betreff: Re: [opencms-dev] Installing OpenCMS and
migratingdata/settingsfromanother (older) installation

[SJS]  Hi Kai,

thank you very much for your help!

First of all, get rid of the opencms.war and the opencms directory on
your new servers webapp directory (CATALINA_HOME/webapps/)

[SJS] Done.

[SJS] which one is the $CATALINA_HOME in my case? Is it
/usr/share/tomcat5.5 or /var/lib/tomcat5.5 - or how do I find out? On
the old server the variable is not set, but

Debian:/# find / -name webapps

returns

/var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps

[KS] On your old server I guess $CATALINA_HOME is
/var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps then. Your OpenCms installation should be in
the ROOT directory (This is the one you have to copy).

On the new server the $CATALINA_HOME is /usr/share/tomcat5.5 If I change
that, I get an error message, when I try to start tomcat.

[KS] Why do you want to change it?  I think that is not necessary.

[SJS] I wanted to do that, because I wanted to put the ROOT directory in
/var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps, as it is on the old server; but on the other
side, I should put it in CATALINA_HOME/webapps/, where CATALINA_HOME
would be /usr/share/tomcat5.5, which is why I wanted to change the path
for CATALINA_HOME. But I just discovered, that the first points to the
latter, so that it effectively doesn't matter.

1.      Copy the opencms webapp (ROOT) from your old tomcat directory to
the new servers tomcat webapp directory (CATALINA_HOME/webapps/). If
there already is a ROOT-webapp, rename that one or move to a backup
directory.

[SJS] Done.

2.      Copy the opencms database from your old database directory to
the new servers database directory. (The safer way would be to do this
via mysqldump)

[SJS] In the root-directory I just typed "mysqldump --opt -p
--all-databases > datensicherung.sql". That's the right approach, right?

[KS] It would be good to just dump the OpenCms database. The syntax is
similar:  mysqldump --opt db_name > backup-file.sql
[SJS] mysqldump --opt -p opencms > backup-file.sql done. Just out of
curiosity and that I know it next time: why is it better not to copy all
databases at once?

3.      Change the db connection in the opencms.properties file. It is
located in the WEB-INF/config directory of your opencms webapp.

[SJS] I cannot find a "db connection" in that file, but a lot of entries
that start with "db.pool.default" Or did you mean those entries:

server.ethernet.address=...

server.name=OpenCmsServer

?

[KS] Have a look for the following lines:

# URL of the JDBC driver

db.pool.default.jdbcUrl=jdbc:mysql://SERVERNAME:3306/DB_NAME

# user name to connect to the database

db.pool.default.user=USERNAME

# password to connect to the database

db.pool.default.password=PASSWORD

[SJS] I changed username and password and left

# URL of the JDBC driver

db.pool.default.jdbcUrl=jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/opencms

the same, because the name of the db is the same, also that it's on the
same machine as tomcat. Is that the right procedure?

Do I need to change the "server.ethernet.adress", too? That one is in
Hex there, and ifconfig tells me a hexadress only for the hardware
adress, so is this that what I need to put in there?

4.      Change the server connection in the opencms-system.xml as well.

[SJS]  Did you mean something like

      <sites>

      <workplace-server>http://www. ... .de</workplace-server>

      <default-uri>/sites/default/</default-uri>

      <site server="http://www. ... .de" uri="/sites/default/"/>

? I cannot find any ip-adress in there, only URLs to websites, where the
current projects are.

[KS] Yes, that is correct. If you are accessing your new server via IP,
you can type an IP address in there.

[SJS] Mmh, that is a little bit tricky: the old server is the one the
websites lie on now, and that server will continue to run. The new
server is just for testing purposes, that is, I want to change websites
on that server, test if everything works out fine and deploy them to the
old web server, without changing of addresses.

So should I leave the opencms-system.xml as-is and copy the
/var/lib/tomcat5.5/conf/server.xml to the new server and e.g. change the
Ports in the following part to something else?:

<!-Website www. ... .de -->

               maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25"
maxSpareThreads="75"

               proxyName="www.actsystems.de" proxyPort="80"

               enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
acceptCount="100"

               connectionTimeout="20000"

               useURIValidationHack="false"

               disableUploadTimeout="true" />

          Or should I change the server connection to

          <mailhost name="localhost" protocol="smtp" user="..."
password="..."/>

       <sites>

      <workplace-server>http://localhost:8080</workplace-server>

      <default-uri>/sites/default/</default-uri>

      <site server="http://localhost:8080" uri="/sites/default/"/>

       </sites>

as the websites will be on the same machine as tomcat? I'm confused,
because I'm still really new to Linux, and even newer to OpenCms and I
think I'm just missing something really obvious.

5.      Restart Tomcat.

6.      Login to OpenCms and clear the flex cache and do a static
export.

[SJS] With what code snippet could I do that?

[KS] You can choose them from the Administration view in OpenCms. Look
for "Flex Cache Administration" and "Database Management".

After doing that, you will have a 1:1 copy of your old installation.

[SJS] Also I still got those problems:

Another problem is: I checked
http://www.installationwiki.org/OpenCms#Check_Your_Configuration: When I
try to access localhost:8080, I get the message "Failed to Connect",
whereas localhost:80 works fine (I get a webpage, saying "It works!).
How can I adjust the firewall settings - assuming it is a firewall
problem?

[KS] Check in your tomcat's server.xml file, if the connection port is
set to 8080 (Search for 8080) in that file).

Concerning firewalls I can just say that you have to let http
connections on port 8080 through. Maybe you can disable it for testing?

Also how do you read the documentation in
http://www.opencms.org/en/modules/downloads/dl_dochow_httpd_7.0.0.html.

As I downloaded it, I got a manifest.xml-file and some cryptic
html-files, which I don't know how to read.

[KS] There are helpful resources which explain how to connect Tomcat
/OpenCms and Apache. Have a look at
http://www.opencms-wiki.org/Opencms_as_/_with_Apache_%2B_mod_jk_%28or_mo
d_proxy%29.

Maybe you don't need that for your testing environment?

HTH

Kai

[SJS] Thanks again very much for your help!

[SJS]  Jane