[opencms-dev] Installing OpenCMS and migrating data/settings from another (older) installation

Stefanie Juliane Schmidt sjs at act-consulting.de
Fri Oct 16 16:14:29 CEST 2009

Von: Stefanie Juliane Schmidt
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 15. Oktober 2009 16:07
An: 'The OpenCms mailing list'
Betreff: AW: [opencms-dev] Installing OpenCMS and
migratingdata/settingsfromanother (older) installation

[SJS]  Hi Kai,

thank you very much for your help!

1.      Change the db connection in the opencms.properties file. It is
located in the WEB-INF/config directory of your opencms webapp.

[SJS3] Done, hopefully in the right way.

2.      Change the server connection in the opencms-system.xml as well.

[SJS]  Did you mean something like

      <sites>

      <workplace-server>http://www. ... .de</workplace-server>

      <default-uri>/sites/default/</default-uri>

      <site server="http://www. ... .de" uri="/sites/default/"/>

? I cannot find any ip-adress in there, only URLs to websites, where the
current projects are.

[KS] Yes, that is correct. If you are accessing your new server via IP,
you can type an IP address in there.

[SJS] Mmh, that is a little bit tricky: the old server is the one the
websites lie on now, and that server will continue to run. The new
server is just for testing purposes, that is, I want to change websites
on that server, test if everything works out fine and deploy them to the
old web server, without changing of addresses.

[KS2] Ok, that sounds just like a second server for testing. There is no
connection between them. Right?

[SJS3] Right.

So for opencms-system.xml enter the Servername or IP-Address
(http://www.mytestserver.de:TOMCATPORT/ or
http://IP-ADDRESS:TOMCATPORT/) to the workplace-server and site-server
node.

I don't know what to configure in Tomcat. I guess it must be the same as
in opencms-system.xml (http://www.mytestserver.de:TOMCATPORT/ or
http://IP-ADDRESS:TOMCATPORT/).

Actually there is no difference in the configuration of Tomcat for Linux
or Windows (AFAIK).

3.      Restart Tomcat.

[SJS3] I did that all, and then got an "If you're seeing this page via a
web browser, it means you've setup Tomcat successfully.
Congratulations!"-message on http://localhost:8080/

But as I tried http://localhost:8080/opencms/opencms/system/login/, I
got

HTTP Status 404 - /opencms/opencms/system/login/

type Status report

message /opencms/opencms/system/login/

description The requested resource (/opencms/opencms/system/login/) is
not available.

[SJJ3] Is this a simple problem of the path? In
/var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/jsp/online/system/login there
was an index.html.jsp, which may have produced that Website. But it's
still not a OpenCms configuring page. What could have went wrong?

4.      Login to OpenCms and clear the flex cache and do a static
export.

[SJS] With what code snippet could I do that?

[KS] You can choose them from the Administration view in OpenCms. Look
for "Flex Cache Administration" and "Database Management".

After doing that, you will have a 1:1 copy of your old installation.

HTH

Kai

[SJS] Thanks again very much for your help!

[SJS]  Jane