[opencms-dev] push button publish

Tim Daschner timd at thedoleco.com
Fri Nov 13 22:11:47 CET 2009

Hello Everyone,

I am yet again working with a client where I have been pushed against the
wall for a push button publishing feature in opencms. What this means is
that our client wants to be able to develop in a development environment
where only developers will write new code, unit test and play with the
product. Then they want to be able to push a button on some page to transfer
over (publish) all the new code to a different environment called QA. Here,
the quality assurance staff will look at the website delivered by opencms,
test it try to break it and then certify it. If there are bugs found in this
QA environment, they will ask the developers to make changes in the
"development" environment and then again push a button to publish it to QA.
Finally, when all looks good, the webmaster will push a button on some page
in the QA environment and push (publish) all code *and* content changes to
the production environment. Last time I looked into this, this was not
possible in opencms and some custom development was to be done. Our clients
do not mind custom development, however, it will be great to hear from the
community if there is a best practice for this or if anyone else has had any
kind of experience with such a configuration.

I know I am asking for a lot. Hopefully, I will be able to help the
community back somehow. Please do not hesitate to ask any question or make
any suggestions.

Much appreciated.

Best,
Tim Daschner