[opencms-dev] Lucene and OpenCms 7.5.x

Roman Uhlig Maxity.de roman.uhlig at maxity.de
Thu Nov 26 11:57:42 CET 2009

I'd just like to point out again that there are stability issues with
Lucene (or Lucene integration) since OpenCms 7.5.x. Before that version
we never had any problems regarding this.

It's not reproducible and happens randomly, at least we couldn't
identify any particular actions leading to it. The symptoms are quite
annoying: the Tomcat JVM process "suddenly" starts to exhaust all open
file handlers by opening a lot of .cfs and .cfx files (often dozens or
maybe hundreds of them for a single OpenCms search index). We have
increased the number of the systems possible open file handlers, but
that just delays the deadlock for some seconds or minutes. I'm not into
Lucene development nor do I have experience with it, so I can't really
say what's going on.

We also noticed that this is only happening on our most crowded OpenCms
servers, so it seems it's directly connected to the load of the OpenCms
server respectively Lucene.

We would really appreciate any efforts put to solve this issue. Up to
OpenCms 7.0.5 we NEVER had any stability issues with OpenCms. It would
be great if this would be the case in the future as well.

Just in case, this is our usual server configuration (at least for the
affected servers):

GenToo Linux 2.6.30 64-Bit
16 GB RAM
OpenCms 7.5.1
Tomcat 6.0.20
Sun JDK 1.6.0.16
PostgreSQL 8.4.1

Thank you in advance for any help on this,
Roman