[opencms-dev] OpenCms 7.5.1+: more granular permission system

Roman Uhlig Maxity.de roman.uhlig at maxity.de
Mon Dec 7 12:45:44 CET 2009

Kai,
this is a very sensitive issue you bring up here. ;)

Since the OpenCms/ACL permission system is far from being optimal for an
CMS respectively a web application context, I'd be the greatest
supporter of a general overhaul of it. But because this is not likely to
happen since Alkacon probably has more urgent tasks on it's task list,
I'd at least recommend the following:

1.
Separating "edit" from "create"/"delete" (editing is a completely
different context from creation/deletion).

2.
I just say: group "Guests" / user "Guest"
You know what I mean and you know it should not be like this. This
should have been cleaned up or re-implemented long ago.

3.
Some convenient user permission helpers would be great. Like "folder is
accessable for nobody except for group1 and group4" or vice versa. Every
developer here working with OpenCms had a hard time to figure out how
this permission system is meant to work. It's not just recursive ACL,
it's strange. ;)

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Roman