[opencms-dev] first install tomcat error

Reinhard Vielhaber opencms at rvis.de
Wed Jan 6 08:23:53 CET 2010

Hi all,

I'm new to OpenCMS and started installation with both binary
distribution and source-package. I copied the war-file into the webapps
folder where it was unpacked automatically, but tomcat gave me a stack
trace with the following error on top:

06.01.2010 08:12:53 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStart
SCHWERWIEGEND: Exception sending context initialized event to listener
instance of class org.opencms.main.OpenCmsListener
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class
org.opencms.i18n.CmsLocaleManager

[some stack trace lines]

06.01.2010 08:12:53 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStop
SCHWERWIEGEND: Exception sending context destroyed event to listener
instance of class org.opencms.main.OpenCmsListener
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class
org.opencms.i18n.CmsLocaleManager

"SCHWERWIEGEND" - for the non-german-native-speakers - is the same as
fatal or severe (don't know, which one is used in the english version of
tomcat...)

In WEB-INF/lib I have the opencms.jar which contains CmsLocaleManager.class.

Could someone please guide me to a possible solution?

Regards,
Reinhard Vielhaber