[opencms-dev] Which OpenCms version for a new project?

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Wed Jan 13 15:29:28 CET 2010

Dear Guiseppe
>> - as stated during OpenCms days, OpenCms 8.0 will be a major release. Will
>> be easy to migrate from version 7.5?
>>

> My experience: So far it was pretty easy to9migrate from one major release to the next one.

I agree. Especially if you stick to official APIs and don't use much
internal stuff or modify the code of the core classes, then even major
upgrades work rather well and without too much code adjustment.

I don't know how stable and complete the beta will be and whether there
will later be an upgrade assistant for updating it to the final release.
If there is any doubt about that and if you start developing now, then I
would recommend to start with 7.5 and upgrade to 8 as soon as it becomes
stable or as soon as there is something that has a prerelease that can
do automatic upgrades from 7.5

You might need to be prepared to touch your Java code a bit for the
upgrade but if any code changes are required then they are usually quite
painless and often done in a day or two.

This is not an official answer but I hope that helps nonetheless
Kind regards
Christian