[opencms-dev] External link opens in a new page

Achim Westermann achim.westermann at gmx.de
Mon Jan 18 22:23:44 CET 2010

Hi Paulo,

the external link (also called pointer) is an "incredible old" resource
type with the single very basic feature of doing a server side redirect
when the browser requests it. It even comes along with a special OpenCms
loader implementation.

Good news is: Later on the XML contents were introduced in OpenCms 6. It
is relatively easy to create a custom XML content. You could create one
with the name "ExternalLink" (e.g.) and let it have the following basic
fields:

URL, a plain text field of type OpenCmsString
TARGET, a SelectorWidget with the Options "samewindow|newwindow".

In your detail rendering JSP (you'll know what I mean if you read the
content of my final link) you then are able to render different HTML
upon the selected TARGET.

But first read more at:
http://opencms-wiki.org/Defining_OpenCMS_structured_XML_content

HTH,