[opencms-dev] Can different installations of OpenCms connect to the same db schema?

Jordi Martí jmarti at theinit.com
Thu Jan 28 13:42:28 CET 2010

Shency, Achim,

I'm one of those people Achim talks about, that have tried endlessly to
make two separated instances of opencms work against the same db. I
completetly agree with Achim that IT WORTHS THE MONEY (but I never tried).

These are four key aspects I have being fighting against (I wrote in
this list about it time ago). This is based on Opencms 6.2.3 (where I
have two opencms against the same database):

     - Indexes: indexes are built in filesystem. If one instance indexes
a file, the other one won't do it, or that's what experience tells me.
You should manually reindex in both machines through a external process.
     - FlexCache: if publishing happens in one machine, the other one
will not know that a page has been published, and cache won't be
invalidated. That's why I generally use a timeout based cache (cache
property => "timeout=10").
     - Config files: for example, if you import a module in one machine,
the other file "opencms-modules.xml" in the other machine won't be
modified. You could rsync both files or mount that directory or
something like that.  There's no problem with filesystem created JSP and
images, because if one instance doesn't have it, it creates in on the
fly, so there's no problem.
     - Workplace Locks: locks are built-in memory, not database. If you
use multiple users on same files, it can affect you, and I don't have a
workaround,.

I don't use static export, so I'm not able to study how it affects
static export further,...

HIH,

Jordi