[opencms-dev] Apache httpd in front of Tomcat in 2010, yes or no?

Yves Glodt yg at mind.lu
Sun Jan 31 12:08:59 CET 2010

Hi,

I would like to get some opinions if people think it is still state of the
art to put a regular Apache httpd in front of e.g. tomcat,
for removing the /opencms prefix and serving of static files.

Recently I set up some servers without apache httpd, just using a bare
tomcat6. I removed /opencms with this method

http://opencms-wiki.org/Removing_the_/opencms/opencms_prefix_without_using_Apache

Now for me everything works fine, and I also do not see any performance
issues (although I have to say the sites are low-traffic).

What do you think? What are your good reasons for sticking with an httpd in
front of tomcat?

Best regards,
Yves