[opencms-dev] WebDAV: 'Error in repository while executing method "PUT"' for Images

A. Motaz publists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 11:04:24 CET 2010

Hello all,

I'm new to OpenCms, and I inherited a large website. Big learning curve, but
I'm doing relatively good so far hacking my way through and slowly picking
up pace.

But I'm stuck at one issue that I hope you can help me with (and excuse my
ignorance if it's too silly). I edit VFS files either using the the Edit
option from the workplace, or via WebDAV. My problem with WebDAV is that,
for some reason, I cannot replace/overwrite IMAGES. All other files seem to
be working OK, but when it comes to downloading an image to the real file
system, editing it, and putting it back into the VFS, it gives an error "An
error occurred copying some or all of the selected files."

I am currently using the Web Folders method, but the same problem happens
with Eclipse and a little app called AnyClient.

Checking OpenCms (v7.0.5) logs, I found this exception when I try to copy an
image back to the VFS. Below are the first few lines of the stack trace:

--- snip ---
23 Feb 2010 11:44:35,859 ERROR [pencms.webdav.CmsWebdavServlet:2063] Error
in repository while executing method "PUT" for path "/vfspath/to/image.jpg"
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Malformed \uxxxx encoding.
 at java.util.Properties.loadConvert(Unknown Source)
 at java.util.Properties.load0(Unknown Source)
 at java.util.Properties.load(Unknown Source)
 at
org.opencms.file.wrapper.CmsResourceWrapperUtils.writePropertyFile(CmsResour
ceWrapperUtils.java:366)
--- /snip ---

I seems to be a problem with the property file (which, btw, I do not attempt
to replace) It is also worth noting that it works fine if the file does not
already exist. Again, this only happens, so far, with images only.

Any thoughts on how to fix this? Ideas are highly appreciated.

Thank in advance!
Ahmed