[opencms-dev] OpenCMS Development in a team

Thomas Göttlich guo.tuomi at googlemail.com
Mon May 3 10:03:02 CEST 2010

Hi there,

we're currently starting our first bigger project based on OpenCMS.

However, we have some questions on how to setup a development environment
that is suitable for developing in a team.
Thus, any help, ideas and suggestions are highly appreciated.

First, I'd like to give a quick overview on our current development process:

So far, we used a single shared database for development, so that any
developer can use the same test data.
Development occured in otherwise isolated environments, i.e. each developer
had her own JBoss, own working copy etc.
Source code distribution happened via Subversion whereas test data resided
in the shared data base.

Additionally, we told JBoss where to find the application (especially the
JSPs) in our working copy.
Thus we could just edit a JSP and immediately see the changes in the running
application.

All this allowed us to code quickly, use the same test data without any
hassle etc.

However, OpenCMS doesn't seem to support that approach.

As far as I know, OpenCMS needs all JSPs (and maybe the jars, too) to reside
in the VFS which would make using a shared database for OpenCMS quite
difficult.

Additionally, if we used a database per development machine, it would be
difficult to distribute the test data.

The third point would be the instant editing of JSPs which doesn't seem to
work, since we'd need synchronization with the VFS.

Do you have any ideas?

Or any hint on how you do OpenCMS development in a bigger team.

Thanks in advance,

Thomas