[opencms-dev] Encoding in workspace_ru.txt, problem... :-(

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Sat Jun 26 11:56:19 CEST 2010

Dear Yves

native2ascii is definitely the right tool and the second line with the
unicode sequences like \u041 looks perfect.

To be sure that the file is read properly, you should try either
debugging the code that accesses the text from the resource bundle, or
logging the text and checking the log file. But I would expect that the
access to the property file is not the problem - probably there is some
encoding problem later when the response is assembled.

Did you check the output encoding for your page? The Encoding property
of the page should be set to something sensible like UTF-8, unless that
is your default encoding anyway. Please note also that the encoding
setting of one of the parent folders will also carry over to all child
resources that don't have their own encoding property set.

Maybe the text is converted into Win-1251 encoding and then re-encoded
as UTF-8 or the other way around? There is very probably some double
output encoding going where a combination of UTF-8 and something else is
applied to the bytes.

Kind regards
Christian