[opencms-dev] Comments/discussion functionality using OAMP modules?

Steve Bryan steve at bright-interactive.com
Wed Jun 30 11:26:26 CEST 2010

Hi all

I'm planning how to implement some simplish commenting/discussions on our
next OpenCms site. The requirement is for comments on articles, but users
should also be able to start new discussions on articles or topics.

I've had a look around, and it looks like the best options would either be
a) custom build (probably outside of OpenCms except for page templates).
b) A combination of the OAMP Comments and Web User Registration modules.

Other suggestions would be welcome!

For option b) I have two questions:

1. Does the comments module support multiple discussions per article (ie per
xmlpage/xmltype in OpenCms)? If not I guess I could hack it by creating
extra dummy objects per article, and attaching comments to those.

2. We might want web users to register in order to add comments and
discussions. For this I assume I should use the Webuser Registration Module?
* How many webusers (ie non-cms users) does this module + OpenCms support?
* Would having lots of webusers reduce the performance or usability of the
cms account management?
* Does the Web User Registration module integrate well with the Comments
module (ie so that users created with Registration module can easily use the
Comments module)?

Thanks in advance for any comments or experiences with this.

Regards
Steve