[opencms-dev] how to use two database instances

Achim Westermann achim.westermann at gmx.de
Wed Sep 22 00:36:56 CEST 2010

Hi Kareem, Yves,

On 09/22/2010 12:18 AM, Yves Glodt wrote:
> OpenCms can not switch from one database instance to another without
> editing opencms.properties and restarting your container.

Of course it cannot. If it would be able to it had to perform all write
operations to all switchable database instances.
Yves tip to use drdb / heartbeat sounds reasonable. But also a mysql
cluster with a load balancing jdbc driver
(http://blogs.sun.com/carriergrademysql/entry/how_to_use_jdbc_connector)
could do this.

I myself often used ocee cluster & replication with apache and mod_jk
load balancing in front. In that setup not only all but one db may fail
but also all but one application server may fail.

HTH,
Achim