[opencms-dev] OpenCMS Table Questions

Brett Sheeran brett.sheeran at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 07:19:48 CEST 2010

Hi,

I have a few questions about the OpenCMS database schema.

1. How are CMS_USERS.USER_ID Values Generated?
The USER_ID seems to be a 36 character string that looks like this:
 12345678-1234-1234-1234-123456789012
However, I can't find where the string is generated in the code. Does anyone
have any suggestions.

2. How are CMS_USERS.USER_DATECREATED Values Calculated?
USER_DATECREATED is a BIGINT. I thought I might be able to use
System.currentTimeMillis(). However, that method returns a 12 digit number
and the values I see in my database are 13 digits.

3. Is there One Table I Can Query to Get A List Of Organization Units?
I am interested in the '/organization_unit/' type strings, but cannot see
where they originate from.

The reason I ask these low level questions is because I have been charged
with building an external interface into the opencms database. The primary
use of this interface is to insert and extract user information.

I did look at the cmsshell.bat command for importing users like so:
 cmsshell.bat "-script=importusers.txt"
However, the cmsshell doesn't seem to incorporate cms_userdata.

Unfortunately, using the OpenCMS Java classes isn't an option as the
interface has to run outside OpenCMS. So, I intend using Hibernate instead.

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions that I might have overlooked, I
would be most interested.

Thank you.

Regards Brett S