[opencms-dev] Release Early, Release Often Re: how about schedule of OpenCms 8?

Scintillance it at scintillance.com
Sat Oct 23 09:13:22 CEST 2010

  Thanks to Michael for his explanation.

I guess the point is there is no such thing as 'working perfectly', else
no-one would ever release software! I think the beta tag is enough to
stop people from blindly using software which isn't ready for prime
time; developers, on the other hand, can help to _make_ it ready, and
often need to see what's coming over the horizon.

By choosing to hide OpenCms 8 in this way, Alkacon have unfortunately
put off contributions, adoption etc by months. They've also made it more
likely that current OpenCms users will jump ship and start using other
CMSs. I have one customer who's doing exactly that; if they could see
what was so fabulous about OpenCms 8, they might not.

While we're talking about the way software is shared, could we move to a
modern VCS, e.g. Git :-)?