[opencms-dev] Release Early, Release Often Re: how about schedule of OpenCms 8?

Achim Westermann achim.westermann at gmx.de
Mon Oct 25 21:34:55 CEST 2010

Hi Scintillance,

I for myself can live with development going on in a non-public branch.
I contributed some patches during this time and some were taken over
into HEAD and my company is currently running in production with two of
them in 7.5.2.. So for me contributions do not seem to be cut-off.
I think if unfinished stuff is subject to patches/contributions it is
highly likely that they are not taken into account as they were
adressing things that were subject to heavy changes/complete drops. This
might offend contributors as well.
GIT is cool. Android uses it. Scala is cool. Xing is made with it.
XSL-fo was cool. Google Wave was cool. Which does not mean that the
well-hung stuff becomes crappy. And which does not mean that "cool"
stuff is really a time-saver in production. It is only a guarantee that
it is fun and cool for developers to play and experiment with top-notch
fresh stuff.

;-)
Achim