[opencms-dev] attachments and links in newsletter module

Hein van der Kallen hvanderkallen at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 2 14:08:54 CET 2010

With the Alkacon newsletter module, it is possible to send newsletter emails to subscribers of different mailing lists.

We used the module (version 7.5.2) to replace our newsletter ( a paper booklet) , with a digital version.

But did not want to edit the new newsletter itself as a newsletter content, but as a word-file and publish it as a pdf-file.

We encountered two problems:

1. When we try to include the pdf-file as attachment to the newsletter content, the template does not have a proper place for attachments.

2. When we include a link in the newsletter content to the pdf-file on our server, that link is translated to a local link, and does not work on the receiving side.

New feature request: Could these problems be solved in a later release?

If useful, i can provide Alkacon my own code that solved the first problem.

I did not write a new module, but changed and recompiled the Alkacon (version 7.5.3) newsletter module.

It works as intended ( we can add attchments, see them in preview with the correct icons and send them as attachments).

But in the end we decided not to use that new feature.

We now use a work-around for the second problem: we send an alternative link to the pdf-file.

Hein van der Kallen