[opencms-dev] OpenCMS 8 Release: any news?

Michael Emmerich m.emmerich at alkacon.com
Thu Dec 2 10:29:37 CET 2010

Hello Olaitan,

 > Hi Micheal,
 >
 > Thanks for the update.
 >
 > Just a quick question, would the changes affect the way templates are
 > created? If it does, would the new approach be compatible with existing
 > templates?

Of course you can use your templates from OpenCms 7.x in OpenCms 8. But
then, you will only be able to use them the same way as you used them in
OpenCms 7.x. They will not be able to use the new ADE features
out-of-the-box.

Templates for ADE are still based on the same technology you are using
now for xmlcontents, you will have to do some changes.
So if you build your templates now in a way as they "should", with the
<cms:..> taglib and JSTL, you should be able to migrate them.

For our current development we are now using a modified version of
TemplateTwo, so you see current templates can be modified for the use of
ADE.

 > Am just asking to be sure we would not need to migrate existing
 > templates to support the new approach. At least, if we know early
 > enough, we can be prepared.

You will definitely have to do some modifications to your exiting
templates to be able to use them for ADE as some new concepts will be
introduced.

Kind regards,
Michael