[opencms-dev] opencms database case sensitivity?

Mario Jäger m.jaeger at alkacon.com
Thu Dec 23 14:36:15 CET 2010

Hi Chris,

The OpenCms table names were always already in upper case. It depends on
your operating system and on your database configuration, if the table
names are created in upper case or in lower case. For example, in a
MySQL database the configuration of the system variable
"lower_case_table_names" is responsible for that. That variable can have
the values 0, 1 and 2. If it is set to 0, than the table names are
created like given in the "CREATE TABLE" statements and the case
sensitive is distinguished, when using the table names in SQL
statements. This is the default setting in UNIX systems. If the variable
is set to 1, than the table names are created in lower case and the case
sensitive is not distinguished, when using the table names in SQL
statements. This is the default setting in Windows systems. If the
variable is set to 2, than the table names are created like given in the
"CREATE TABLE" statements, but there is no case sensitive distinguished,
when using the table names in SQL statements (while lookup MySQL
converts the table names to lower case). This is the default setting in
Mac OS X systems.

And the SQL statements in OpenCms itself uses the table names like given
in the "CREATE TABLE" statements. That is why, there are no problems,
whatever operating system you use and how the system variable
"lower_case_table_names" is set in your system (if you use a MySQL
database).

--
Kind Regards,
Mario.