[opencms-dev] OpenCMS bug? Delete content everywhere, DB is still too large (10GB+)

Ignacio Martelli imartelli at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 21:10:15 CET 2011

Hi,

I found something strange while trying to reduce the size of a big
(13GB+) OpenCMS 7.5.2 instance by deleting old content. I first tried
to delete the content in the server, but the DB did not decrease it's
size. In order to do the process correctly I copied the entire server
into a dev VM, and tried to delete ALL the content. Here is what I
did:

- Delete all the contents of /sites/MySite
- In "Administration -> File History -> History Settings": change
settings to leave 1 stored version and not keep deleted resources.
- In "Administration -> File History -> Clear History": Cleared all
history including all versions of deleted files, left only 1 file
versions of normal content.
- In MySql: Optimized all tables to reclaim hard disk space.

After doing all these steps, I checked the DB size, and found it still
weights at over 10GB! Looking at table sizes, the table CMS_CONTENTS
is taking 90% of that space.

I checked the contents of that table and found content linked only to
CMS_HISTORY_RESOURCES and CMS_PUBLISH_HISTORY but not linked to
CMS_ONLINE_RESOURCES, CMS_HISTORY_RESOURCES, CMS_ONLINE_STRUCTURE or
CMS_HISTORY_STRUCTURE.

Checking the CMS_PUBLISH_HISTORY table I found that the path of said
content was in a subfolder of /sites/MySite. I see no way to access
that path from the workplace.

If I understand correctly I have content that I cannot access from the
workplace (because it has no resources or structure associated with
it). Shouldn't that content have been deleted?????? Is this a bug, or
is the content necessary?

Regards,
IM