[opencms-dev] Different version jars in lib folder

Paul-Inge Flakstad flakstad at npolar.no
Thu Apr 14 22:25:29 CEST 2011

Hi,

I'm getting ClassCastExceptions stemming from xerces, and I found that in one of my OpenCms webapps I'm seeing a lot of different versions of the jars in the WEB-INF/lib folder. (This is strangely not the webapp where the exceptions are thrown, but it's on the same Tomcat instance.)

For example, all of these:
lucene-core-1.9.1.jar
lucene-core-2.1.0.jar
lucene-core-2.2.0.jar
lucene-core-2.3.1.jar
lucene-core-2.3.2.jar
lucene-core-2.4.1.jar

(Most of the commons-xxx jars, and a bunch of others as well, are also present in multiple versions.)

What could be the cause of all these multiple versions? Is it safe to delete the older versions and just keep the most recent?

On a side-note:
Can two different versions of the "same" jar cause conflicts, if they reside in the separate webapps' lib folder?

For example:
webapp_one/WEB-INF/lib/mylibrary-v1.0.jar
webapp_two/WEB-INF/lib/mylibrary-v2.0.jar

Thanks in advance :)

Paul