[opencms-dev] OpenCms 8 Feature List

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Mon Apr 18 14:54:56 CEST 2011

Hi all,

with just 3 weeks from the OpenCms 8 launch, I want give you an update about
what to expect in the next OpenCms version:

* The major thing in OpenCms 8 will be the "Advanced Direct Edit" mode. It
allows to create page content by drag & drop. This is a major usability
improvement, and I find it really cool.

* Then there is the all new sitemap editor. It allows to create pages and
re-arrange the navigation tree by drag & drop. Also very cool.

* We replaced the "Upload Applet" with a new HTML based dialog that can
upload multiple files.

* JPA support has been added to the database layer.

* A content subscription engine allows to inform users when important
documents have changed.

* xsd:choice support for the editor.

* And more...

The new GUI components have been written completely in GWT and are all
animated, dynamic HTML. This was quite a lot of work, but well worth it.

Some features we had in mind did not make it into version 8:

* No support for CMIS or JSR 178.

* No improved workflow.

We also won't have a public beta this time. It just didn't work out.

OpenCms 8 will be available for public download from May 9.

I will present the new features at OpenCms Days 2011. The conference has
many workshops on OpenCms 8, get the full program here:
http://www.opencms-days.org/program.pdf

I hope to meet you all in 3 weeks at OpenCms Days in Cologne.

Kind Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior