[opencms-dev] Howto have a tree structure but server flat urls

Paul-Inge Flakstad flakstad at npolar.no
Wed Apr 20 18:17:35 CEST 2011

Hi Assaf and everyone,

While there may not be any difference, in SEO terms, between
- one/index.html and
- one.html

There is a difference between
- one/two/three/four/index.html and
- one-two-three-four.html

The assumption is, of course, that files nearer the root are more
important than those further away. (I call this the "root
proximity" factor.)

The assumption is a BIG assumption, and in more cases than not,
it's also a WRONG one... As algorithms are continually evolving
and more processing can be done faster and cheaper, I think search
engines won't need to put as much weight on the root proximity
factor when calculating a page's PR. Even today, I don't think
it weighs in all _that_ much.

An ongoing trend I've noticed, is going for a flat structure, in
order to please Google and friends. If the trend continues, Google
will _have_ to adjust their algorithms, ending up somewhere where
it does not matter whether a page is on the root or buried in the
folder tree. I think that in the long run, creating "root pages"
will only lead to a terrible mess, and no (or just a slight)
benefit SEO-wise.

Just my two cents - I'm definitively no SEO expert, and hence, I
could be waaay off here. :)

Good luck, Assaf, whatever approach you choose. :) I would be very
interested in hearing from you about results and experiences, should
you opt to somehow create URLs on the root.

(I've considered creating a flat structure myself, since we have
folder structures that sometimes place important pages quite deep.
However, for now I decided not to take any action for SEO purposes.
Basically, we're very pleased with our PR as it is - in many cases
only Wikipedia beats us in the SERP.)

Cheers,
Paul