[opencms-dev] MySQLNonTransientConnectionException - too many connections

HERNAN - TFSLA info at tfsla.com
Tue May 3 00:22:00 CEST 2011

If both JAVA and MYSQL are hunging at the same time, most probably, you have
an issue with a process / coding rather than config. Nevertheless, your
config is not a very happy one :)

1) First of all, you should probably enable SLOW QUERIES and during the high
cpu usage show a process list on MYSQL (queries on execution).

2) if you are using MYISAM table format, adjust the KEY_BUFFER_SIZE value to
4gb (1/3 of the total ram). If you are using INNODB, do that for
INNODB_BUFFER_POOL_SIZE.

3) change your TABLE_CACHE to something like 512,  thread_cache to 32 and
change max_tmp_tables to 128mb.

4) change max_connections to something like 200. There is no reason to put
it on 2000 for a small site.

5) change MAX_ACTIVE on the opencms.properties to 200 (it should be
sufficient with 25 for small sites, but it depends on a lot of factors such
as connection types, cycling, session duration, etc).

6) on my.cnf add the following line: --skip-name-resolve

I'm also assuming your flexcache configuration is in place for every major
JSP and you have an Apache cache / content expiration strategy.

Please, change all on we continue from there. If the problem presents itself
again, please post the SHOW PROCESS LIST and slow queries results.