[opencms-dev] OpenCms 8 vs SharePoint 2010

Deiverson Silveira deiverson at solutioncms.com
Thu Jun 23 15:22:21 CEST 2011

Hi,

Thank you for shared experience.

Here in Brazil the main competitors I've seen (customers asking for to do),
is the SharePoint (most are private institutions and some government) and
JBoss Portal (because JSR 168 - Portlet). And it happened in reported
SharePoint customer chooses, pay more, and do not like, ask to take and do
OpenCms.

Regards,

Deiverson

2011/6/23 HERNAN - TFSLA <info at tfsla.com>

> Hi,
>
> Hi wrote a comparative on 2009. We have Sharepoint expertise. First of all,
> they are not products to be compared. The difference is both 'sutil' and
> huge.
>
> We position Sharepoint as a 'business applications' platform. Most
> sharepoint deployment are for Intranets. Microsoft itself position
> Sharepoint as a "COLLABORATION PLATFORM FOR ENTERPRISE".
>
> Sharepoint natural competition is ALFRESCO on the open-source field.
>
> Sharepoint is heavily oriented to document and data management (office
> integration). You always end up managing LISTS, DOCUMENT LIBRARIES and
> SITES. This, combined with WEBPARTS (damn difficult to develop) is usually
> the core.
>
> Microsoft, or partners with poor judgment, are trying over the last year to
> position Sharepoint as a PORTAL product or CMS. Is this possible? yes it
> is,
> about 10 times more difficult than using OpenCms, DotNet Nuke or any other
> Web CMS.  Sharepoint is very very limited on what you can do at the 'look
> and feel' level in a 'natural way' (coding, breaking and investing a lot of
> hours is all possible).
>
> Even when Sharepoint is a great product for MICROSOFT environments, is not
> Web CMS like OpenCms. Is 10 times superior on document management and
> databases integration (Business Intelligence projects usually uses
> Sharepoint as a content distributor).
>
> If you have a customer comparing OpenCms with Sharepoint, then most
> probably
> the scope of the project is not perfectly clear :)
>
> I hope this helps.
>

> Deiverson Silveira-2 wrote:
> >
> > Hi List/Alkacon,
> >
> > I need make document commercial with diferential competitive OpenCms 8 x
> > SharePoint 2010.
> >
> > Does anyone have experience with SharePoint that you can cite what are
> the
> > biggest that the differential OpenCms 8 offers?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Deiverson Silveira
> >
> > --
> > *