[opencms-dev] OpenCms in Clustered Environment

Michael Emmerich m.emmerich at alkacon.com
Tue Jul 26 14:55:04 CEST 2011

Faisal,

> hi!
>    thanks for your reply friend, please if you can tell me how to change the vfs location at hard disk, or does OpenCms Completely store all the data into the DB, like images, pages, JSPS, templates etc?

OpenCms stores everything in the database,  therefore the "filesystem"
of OpenCms is called VFS - Virtual File System - as it is no real
filesystem, but "just" database entries.

If you would like to store everything in the real file system, you would
need to write your own drivers that implement the interfaces in the
org.opencms.db package:

I_CmsDriver
I_CmsHistoryDriver
I_CmsProjectDriver
I_CmsSubscriptionDriver
I_CmsUserDriver
I_CmsVfsDriver

You would also need an extension of the org.opencms.db.CmsSqlManager for it.

See the org.opencms.db.generic package which holds the generic sql
database implmentation. Everything that is in there would be needed in
such a "filesytem driver" set.

However, I think it is possible to write such an implementation, but I
do not think that it will have a high performance. And it will take some
time to get it work.

If you want to use OpenCms in a cluster (as your initial question was),
the best solution would the the OCEE Cluster Package.

--
Kind Regards,
Michael.