[opencms-dev] External Links

Michael Emmerich m.emmerich at alkacon.com
Tue Nov 8 14:55:48 CET 2011

Brian,

> My problem is that I'm not sure I know how External Links work.
>  From what I could gather you link to them like you would to other files
> on the vfs and they then redirect you to the external adress stored
> within them.

This is what the external links are for.
The idea is that you can put such external links an an external link
gallery and your content managers can use them without knowing the link
target in detail.
And if the external link changes, you only have to change the target in
the external link, and all pages using it will point to the corrected
link. So you do not have to change every page where the link is used.

> Only that this doesn't work for me at all and I end up stuck on the file
> without it sending me towards the destination.

What version of OpenCms do you use?

Kind regards,
Michael

> Am 08.11.2011 14:43, schrieb patric dosch:
>> I do not understand your problem, not really :)
>> The first is the redirect, you need no cms:link here, right?
>> The title of the external page you'll be able to save in a string
>> element and then display it?

>>> that...)
>>> 2.) A simple link such as<a href="<cms:link>pathtofile</cms:link>">
>>> (Which brings me to a side question of how I can display the name of
>>> the External Link file in a page)
>>>
>>> Both methods just send me to something along the lines of
>>> /opencms/_external_links/www.opencms.com
>>> or, should I not use the<cms:link> to /_external_links/filename
>>>
>>> What am I doing wrong or what am I overlooking?
>>>
>>> Thanks:
>>> - Brian Stanfield

>>> Virtual Identity AG
>>> Gruenwaelderstrasse 10-14
>>> 79098 Freiburg
>>> Amtsgericht Freiburg, HRB 6218
>>> Vorstand: Ralf Heller, Udo Möbes
>>> Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: Kirsten Heller
>>> Umsatzsteuer-ID: DE208002218
>>>
>>> Versand am 08.11.2011 12:57 von dosch patric
>>> Validation-Code: 1134310525231

Kind Regards,
Michael.