[opencms-dev] Alkacon github repositories and build scripts

Alberto Gallardo argrico at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 15:24:20 CEST 2012

Dear list:

I'm trying to find the "official" procedure to compile the opencms
repositories from github, build their artifacts, and compile and build
own modules.

I have cloned the four opencms-core, modules-v7, modules-v8 and alkacon-
oamp repositories (I'm trying to compile legacy modules depending on
template one, that's why I need modules-v7). After Georg's post, I know
there is an Ant runtime property 'externaldirectories' to allow compiling
of external modules. Using this tip, I could get all opencms-core +
modules-v7 + modules-v8 compiled (I had to fix one dependency in modules-
v7). That is,

   ant -Dexternaldirectories=... war

in opencms-core/modules builds everything from these three modules.

However, this doesn't work with the alkacon-oamp repository. Moreover,
this repository has its own build.xml and build-single.xml, an
"alkacon.properties" file that probably needs to be adapted and I could
even notice there are some expectations about what directories should be
available and where. This all suggests me that I have to run ant inside
this directory. But this does not work "out-of-the-box"!

I have managed to modify the build scripts to work(I already reported on
this, see issues #5, #7. #8 and #9 in https://github.com/alkacon/alkacon-
oamp/issues/), but I cannot imagine that I'm not doing something wrong.
So my two questions:

   - Is there any "official" procedure to compile opencms-core + modules-
v7 + modules-v8 + alkacon-oamp?

and,

   - Are there best-practices or guide-lines about how to structure new
modules (and where to place them) keeping them separate from the alkacon
repositories and having them finding alkacon dependencies automatically?

(Again, I have managed to get this working, but with too many changes
that I guess are not necessary).

Thanks and best regards,

Alberto