[opencms-dev] Custom buttons in FCKEditor

Ana Torres amtorres82 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 00:56:56 CEST 2012

Hi Christian,

I did it a couple of times more than one year ago (custom templates and
video player button to insert media), with different versions (OpenCms
7.x.x). I am not working right now with OpenCms but I have installed
OpenCms 8.0.0. Hopefully it is working still with FCKEditor 2 so I guess it
is still working as it used to.

I will try to write a little tutorial in this week to give you a little
idea but one starting point could be:

1. If you go to the opencms admin then /system/workplace/editors/fckeditor/
you'll see all important files that you can edit to have a custom
fckeditor: *configwidget.js* is the custom config for a fckeditor in
contents fields (e.g. body in your news content if you define it first as
OpenCmsHtml type in the xsd) and *customconfig.js *is the very same cofig
but for html contents.

The folder in the vfs named as plugins, are some OpenCms plugins for
FCKEditor.

2. Give a look to fckEditor doc:
http://docs.cksource.com/FCKeditor_2.x/Developers_Guide. That was very
helpful for me.

If you want to develope your own plugin the very hard thing is having good
javascript basis and then integrating your new functionality with the
button (this is the easiest parte after reading a little the doc).

Another detail, you have to clear the cache in your browser and
also  Re-initialize workplace (Admin>Workplace tools), sometimes it is not
getting the changes in those files. That's all I can remember right now.

Ana

> Christian,
>
> We never developed a plug-in, but we used this one:
> http://www.geeklog.net/article.php/Video-Embed-FCKeditor-Plugin-v1-0-0
>
> It seems fairly straight forward.
>

> Christian Steinert-2 wrote:
>>
>> Dear all
>>
>> I would like to add custom buttons to FCKEditor. Did anybody here ever
try
>> something like this or could somebody give me a pointer from which
classes
>> I could derive to make my own version of the editor which adds additional
>> buttons?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Best regards
>> Christian