[opencms-dev] TinyMCE vs FCKEditor - which is the future?

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Tue Jul 3 09:56:33 CEST 2012

Christian,

in short: TinyMCE is the HTML editor we intend to support in the future.

We like FCKeditor but unfortunately it is not longer actively being
developed, and it does not work on newer IE versions. Its direct successor
is CKeditor, but the API is not backwards compatible.

Since we need IE 9+ support in OpenCms, we choose to integrate TinyMCE. The
choice was based on the fact that we could collaborate with others (thanks
Georgie), so we could share the effort in the integration. In a feature
comparison between TinyMCE and CKeditor, both editors seemed pretty equal
overall.

In OpenCms 8.5, only TinyMCE will be available for HTML fields in the Acasia
editor.

Kind Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior