[opencms-dev] OpenCms and Spring MVC - Is the Integration worth it?

Marc Fasel marc.fasel at shinetech.com
Tue Jul 10 07:53:46 CEST 2012

Hi,

I am working with Bryan on the OpenCMS/ Spring MVC integration. Looking at
Mathias sample project I have been able to get the URL rewrite stuff working
so that the the Spring MVC dispatcher servlet is called before rendering a
Spring-enabled OpenCMS resource. That's good.

Now we have the requirement to allow moving around and renaming those
Spring-enabled OpenCMS resources without having to reconfigure Spring by
hand. I think this is possible but will take some effort.

Considering that the URL rewrite stuff is already a bit hacky, and that
moving and renaming static OpenCMS resources created a new challenge for the
integration of Spring MVC and OpenCMS: Is this integration really worth it?
I am sure the next challenge is already waiting around the corner.

All our developers dislike putting controller logic in the JSPs, and would
like to see Spring MVC be integrated with OpenCMS, but if those two
technologies don't really match up well I don't think it is a good idea. I
would like to hear some thoughts of those who are using Spring MVC with
OpenCMS. How useful do you find it? What do you loose by using Spring MVC
with OpensCMS?

Cheers

Marc
Senior Consultant