[opencms-dev] Again about Detail Page

gnorrus at libero.it gnorrus at libero.it
Sun Jul 22 12:35:57 CEST 2012

Hi

I have some questions about detail page.

It's clear to me how to use detail page, but i have this situation and I don't
know if is possible to do what I want:

I have a model page with a groupcontainer on the left. This means that every
page i create from that model page (using sitemap), will have the groupconainer
on the left.

So if a page should have something different on the left, i can "Break up" the
container and add or cut what I want.

Also detail page is created from a model page so also detail page will have
the group container on the left. But if the detail page is unique for all
structured content of a certain type, i can't personalize only a specific
content breaking up the groupcontainer, because all content will have the same
modification. Is this correct? To do that with the "old" opencms way, I coul'd
create a property with something that tell the detail.jsp to display something
for example. But now, with a single detail page this is not possible.

When I create a detail page (but also a normal container page), opencms create
always a folder. Why? This is a problem sometimes for SEO:

I have a structured content name "Product"

Products can be of different types: "Type A" and "Type B" and again for every
type i have other categories, "Type A1", "Type A2", "Type A3", and  "Type B1",
"Type B2", "Type B3". So:

- products
  |- Type A
       |- Type A1
       |- Type A2
       |- Type A3
  |- Type B
       |- Type B1
       |- Type B2
       |- Type B3

If I use categories I can have all produts categorized in the right way and I
can display them inside List content in the right way

But if i have a page where I should have the list of all products of Type A +
Type B (and this page is inside products folder), where do I have to put the
detail page?
If I put inside Type A folder, also product of type B will have this url:
/products/TypeA/product-name and this is not correct.

In this case I shoul'd have another detail page inside products folder in
order to have urls like this:
/products/product-name. But, with sitemap, the detail page is created always
inside a folder, so I would have
/products/product/product-name.

This is not a good solution (expecially for SEO).

The detail page is named always index.html, so If i move the detail page
inside products folder  (having the correct url: /products/product-name) i
can't have a index.html page that is the list of all products (i should name it
for example "list.html"), because if i try to rename the detail page, then i
get an error when clicking on one product in the list (resource not found)

So in this case I must create 3 detail pages, one inside products folder to
display all products of type A and B, then another one inside Type A folder and
another one inside Type B folder. But also this is not good for SEO, because in
this case the same content is reachable with different urls (/products/product-
name, /products/TypeA/product-name)

And I can go on creating other detail pages inside every other child folder i
create in order to have, for example:
/products/TypeA/TypeA1/product-name etc...

which is the right way to use detail page in this case?

Thanks for your help