[opencms-dev] Detail pages

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Tue Jul 24 14:58:03 CEST 2012

Andy,

sorry we have no better guide at the moment but maybe I can help explain the
broad concept.

The container page you got pretty correct. Basically the container page
allows you to combine several pieces of content in one page. This is
suitable for all pages that make up the main navigation. All container pages
are therefore managed "by hand" in the OpenCms sitemap.

Now think of a "News ticker". The individual news messages are usually not
part of the main navigation / sitemap. That is where the detail page comes
into the picture. You define one page as the detail page for a specific
piece of content, e.g. the "News detail page". This detail page has a place
in the sitemap. So all individual news messages are automatically displayed
using this detail page, and their URL is calculated automatically. The
mechanism that shows the news on the detail page is in pretty much the same
as on a standard container page, with the difference that the content for
this specific container is selected dynamically and not by hand.

What I'm unclear on is when I use an internal link to a specific piece of
content, where this goes to, what's loaded, and the use of detailpages to
provide a specific formatting/template/rendering for all resources of the
same type.

Let's say you have a content type "News", and this has the URI
/.content/news/news_00012.html in OpenCms.

If you directly link to this content in OpenCms 8, then the following
happens:

1.    OpenCms recognizes that you are in an OpenCms 8 ADE enabled sitemap.

2.    Depending on the sitemap you are currently in, it will look up the
configured detail page for news. Let's say this detail page has the path
"/news/".

3.    OpenCms will now generate a link, based on the path of the detail page
and the mapped title of the news. Let's say the title of the news was "Some
great title", the so the link created would be "/news/Some-great-title/".

4.    When this link is followed in the browser, OpenCms recognizes that
"/news/" is in fact a detail page, and will then load the news based on the
rest of the URL "/Some-great-title/". For this there exists a title-to-id
mapping table in OpenCms 8.

5.    In the template used for the detail page you need to specify the
container for the detail view. The content of this container will be
automatically filled by the formatter used for the selected news.

Hopefully this helps a bit. Feel free to ask more questions.

Kind Regards,

Alex.

Alexander Kandzior