[opencms-dev] R: Re: Detail pages

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Tue Jul 24 16:52:53 CEST 2012

See my comments in the mail:

From: opencms-dev-bounces at opencms.org [mailto:opencms-dev-bounces at opencms.org] On Behalf Of gnorrus at libero.it
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 3:52 PM
Subject: [opencms-dev] R: Re: Detail pages

Hi Alex

Your answer is clear, but I have some other questions about detail page.

Why the url of the resource is not lowercase?

You are right this should be lowercase, but is not because it has not been implemented that way. I have to look into this and see if it needs to be fixed at core level, or if there is some sort of interface so that it can be done by configuration.

I mean, in your example "Some-great-title". The first letter is uppercase, like the resource title. Is it possibile to have it lowercase? If not, do I have to create another field inside xsd where put the "SEO title" so the user can write it lowercase?

Out of the box the “extra field” is the only option, but as said I agree it should be different. Lowercase by default. And configurable.

The other question is about the position of the detail page.

Imagine this site structure:

- products
  |- Type A
       |- Type A1
       |- Type A2
       |- Type A3
  |- Type B
       |- Type B1
       |- Type B2
       |- Type B3

If I use categories I can have all produts categorized in the right way and I can display them inside List content in the right way

But if i have a page where I should have the list of all products of Type A + Type B (and this page is inside products folder), where do I have to put the
detail page?
If I put inside Type A folder, also product of type B will have this url:
/products/TypeA/product-name and this is not correct.

In this case I should have another detail page inside products folder in order to have urls like this:
/products/product-name. But, with sitemap, the detail page is created always inside a folder, so I would have /products/product/product-name.

I would suggest not placing this page in the products folder in this case.

This is not a good solution (expecially for SEO).

The detail page is named always index.html, so If i move the detail page inside products folder  (having the correct url: /products/product-name) i can't have a index.html page that is the list of all products (i should name it for example "list.html"), because if i try to rename the detail page, then i get an error when clicking on one product in the list (resource not found)

You cannot rename the detail page “index.html”.

So in this case I must create 3 detail pages, one inside products folder to display all products of type A and B, then another one inside Type A folder and another one inside Type B folder. But also this is not good for SEO, because in this case the same content is reachable with different urls (/products/product-name, /products/TypeA/product-name)

I suggest going with 3 detail pages and a rule in robots.txt that makes sure only one content is indexed.

In general I see your point, but the detail page is meant to work with one piece type content only, not multiple types on the same detail page. You will need some sort of workaround if you want this.

Kind Regards,

Alex.

Alexander Kandzior

Visit OpenCms Days 2012 Conference and Expo

September 25 to 25, 2012 in Cologne, Germany

http://www.opencms-days.org