[opencms-dev] XmlContent & Mapping on "Assign categories", howto

Paul-Inge Flakstad flakstad at npolar.no
Wed Oct 10 16:40:28 CEST 2012

Hi again Sandrine,

I'd be happy to help you if I can, but I've read your posts again, and unfortunately I still don't understand exactly what it is you want to do. Nor can I see exactly what your question is.

What I tried to explain is the typical way you'd implement a way to assign categories directly from the XML content editor, using a widget. (I included _additionally_ storing the category references as a property [collector.categories] value.)

This method and the context menu's "Assign categories" are equivalent with regard to the assigning of categories.

They are, however, not _fully_ equivalent:
When using "Assign categories" from the context menu, the property value (the mapping) will be left unmodified, and so will the XML content. And the widget uses the XML content - so any category assigned using the context menu will  _not_ appear as an assigned category when you edit the file. (Quite misleading, isn't it? But at least the other way around is more like one would expect: Categories assigned using the widget when editing _does_ appear in the "Assigned categories" list of the "Assign categories" view.)

Best regards,
Paul