[opencms-dev] OpenCms 8.5: Why is the CategoryWidget a required field by default?

Schliemann, Kai K.Schliemann at comundus.com
Wed Jan 23 12:17:53 CET 2013

Hi list,
I found a strange behavior while using the CategoryWidget in my schema.
First of all, this is how my schema looks like:
<xsd:element name="TopTeaser" type="OpenCmsCategory" />
<layout element="TopTeaser" widget="CategoryWidget" configuration="category=agencies/" />
<validationrules/>

As you can see, the element is not defined as required field.
Nevertheless, OpenCms marks this field as required (the label of the field is in red color).

The most disturbing thing is, that I can save and close the file without a further warning.
BUT, if I do not select a category in this field, the whole content is not saved.

This behavior can't be intentional. I assume, this is a bug.
Can anybody confirm this behavior or give me hint on how to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Kai