[opencms-dev] Problem with Language Settings in WYSIWIG editor, problems with tutorial

Michael Emmerich m.emmerich at alkacon.com
Wed Apr 10 14:22:08 CEST 2013

Thomas,

> Hallo Michael,
>
> vielen Dank für die Antwort..

please  write in English when posting to the malilinglist.

> Am 10.04.2013 13:41, schrieb Michael Emmerich:
>> welcome to OpenCms :)
>>
>> If you are new to OpenCms, I would recommend not to work with
>> xmlpages anymore. Xmplages were the technology to create content
>> pages in OpenCms 6, and they only exist because of compatibility
>> reasons for older applications.
>> You cannot use all advanced direct edit functions - edit your website
>> directly inside the site itself - with xmlpages.
> hmm, ich habe halt das Tutorial durchgemacht und da wird das (noch) so
> gemacht.

I would assume that this was a quite old tutorial. I do not remember any
OpenCms project we started in the last 5 years that still used xmlpages
for the content.

>> So you should start to look for structured contents, their formatters
>> and how to make templates to use those features.
>> A starting point for this could be found in the OpenCms Wiki, e.g.
>>
>> http://www.opencms-wiki.org/wiki/Creating_OpenCms_8_Container_Templates
>> http://www.opencms-wiki.org/wiki/Using_formatters_in_OpenCms_8
>> http://www.opencms-wiki.org/wiki/XMLContent
>>
>> And of course, use the mailing list.
> gibt es denn irgendwo ein "richtiges" Tutorial für OpenCms 8. Das oben
> erwähnte ist halt nur eine Beschreibung eines bestehenden Projektes.
> Ich wüsste aber gerne, "wie und wo fange ich", was für Schritte muss
> ich durchlaufen, um dann zB zu den Flower Demos zu kommen...

I don't know of a real "tutorial" to introduce into OpenCms form the
beginning. And yes, we know that documentation is one of the things that
could be better for OpenCms, especially for beginners.
However, I forgot one tutorial that can be downloaded from the OpenCms
website, its the "Template Creation Beginners Guide":

http://www.opencms.org/downloads/alkacon/OpenCms_8_Template_Creation_Beginners_Guide.pdf

Together with the Wiki, this should give some infos to start with.

Kind regards,
Michael