[opencms-dev] Multi site deployment in Open Cms

Paul-Inge Flakstad flakstad at npolar.no
Mon Jan 27 12:12:00 CET 2014

Hi,

First of all, make sure you have a domain ready for your new site. It should point to the IP of your server.

Next, have a look at http://www.opencms-wiki.org/wiki/MultiSite_configuration_instructions

Personally I set it up slightly different, and with fewer steps (also Tomcat + Apache):

1. Create a folder for your new site in OpenCms:
- In the OpenCms workplace, select “/” from the “Site” dropdown.
- Navigate to the folder /sites/, and create a child folder for your new site. (Set the “Title” property as well, it’s used in the “Site” dropdown in the OpenCms workplace.)
- You should now have a folder with a root path like this: /sites/{your_new_site_folder}/
- Publish the new folder. (May not be crucial, but I always do this.)

2. Make OpenCms aware of the new site:
- On the server, navigate to the folder {TOMCAT_HOME}/webapps/{opencms_webapp}/WEB-INF/config/.
- Open the file opencms-system.xml for editing.
- Find the <sites> node and add a child node inside it: <site server=”http://your.new.site.domain” uri=”/sites/{your_new_site_folder}” />
- Save & close.

3. Make Apache aware of the new site:
- On the server, open Apache’s config file for editing. (On UNIX, it’s typically /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf)
- Find the “VirtualHost” section that’s related to your OpenCms instance.
- Directly after the line that says “ServerName your.existing.site.domain”, add a new line like this: “ServerAlias your.new.site.domain”.
- Save & close.

4. Restart Tomcat & Apache.

Your new site should now be available in the OpenCms workplace, and published content should be available on your new domain.

5. Optional: Create an organizational unit for your new site in the Administration panel.
- This can be very helpful, especially if the different sites will have different editors, and you wish to “hide” the non-relevant sites for those editors. The process is quite self-explanatory. You will typically want to create one organizational unit per site.

HTH.

Cheers,
Paul