[opencms-dev] Survey: How do you develop and deploy OpenCms modules?

Thomas cms_questioner at gmx.de
Thu Aug 28 21:46:04 CEST 2014

Kai Widmann <Widmann <at> mediaworx.com> writes:

> Hello to all OpenCms developers,
>
> at the OpenCms Days 2014 we’ll be holding a session that outlines how we
at mediaworx do OpenCms module development and deployment using IntelliJ,
Maven and Jenkins.
> In preparation I would like to find out how other OpenCms developers are
approaching that task, so I’ve assembled some questions I’d like to ask you
all. Every reply would be of great value to us (and probably to other
developers) and everyone sharing his answers will be mentioned in the “Thank
You” section of our slides.

> So let’s head straight to the questions.
>
> - What IDE do you use to edit your module resources (e.g. Eclipse,
IntelliJ, NetBeans, Text Editor, …)?
> - Would you prefer another IDE that you can’t use because of any
restrictions (e.g. missing OpenCms VFS sync capability)? If so, which IDE
would you like to use?
> - How do you sync your module resources from your IDE to the OpenCms VFS
and vice versa (e.g. IDE plugin, OpenCms Synchronization, WebDav, Network
Share, Cut & Paste)?
> - Do you use a version control system and if yes, which (eg. Git, svn,
CVS, …)?
> - How do you build module classes (e.g. javac, integrated IDE build
system, Maven, Gradle, …)?
> - How do you package your modules to module zips (e.g. manual module
export from OpenCms, IDE plugin, Maven,  Gradle, …)?
> - How do you deploy modules to integration and/or production environments
(e.g. manual import of module zips in OpenCms, copy & paste of changed
resources, automated deployment using CI, …)?
> - Do you use Continuous Integration for OpenCms modules and if yes, what
tools do you use (e.g. Jenkins, Hudson, Bamboo, …)?

> A big thank you in advance to everyone willing to reply!
>
> Cheers
>
> Kai Widmann

> Kai Widmann
> mediaworx berlin AG
>
> Fon (0 30) 2 75 80 – 262
> Fax (0 30) 2 75 80 – 200

- What IDE do you use to edit your module resources (e.g. Eclipse, IntelliJ,
NetBeans, Text Editor, …)?
Netbeans

- Would you prefer another IDE that you can’t use because of any
restrictions (e.g. missing OpenCms VFS sync capability)? If so, which IDE
would you like to use?
No

- How do you sync your module resources from your IDE to the OpenCms VFS and
vice versa (e.g. IDE plugin, OpenCms Synchronization, WebDav, Network Share,
Cut & Paste)?
We have written a plugin for Netbeans
(https://github.com/componio/nbDriva), which uses internally the CmsShell
for the synchronization with extended methods for the creation of modules.
In addition we have implemented a one-way-synchronization procedure over CMIS.

- Do you use a version control system and if yes, which (eg. Git, svn, CVS, …)?
svn and Git

- How do you build module classes (e.g. javac, integrated IDE build system,
Maven, Gradle, …)?
Ant

- How do you package your modules to module zips (e.g. manual module export
from OpenCms, IDE plugin, Maven,  Gradle, …)?
We are using Ant, which uses the CmsShell to export a module and copies it
back into our project structure.

- How do you deploy modules to integration and/or production environments
(e.g. manual import of module zips in OpenCms, copy & paste of changed
resources, automated deployment using CI, …)?

- Do you use Continuous Integration for OpenCms modules and if yes, what
tools do you use (e.g. Jenkins, Hudson, Bamboo, …)?
We're planning to use Jenkins.

Greetings
Thomas