[opencms-dev] Survey: How do you develop and deploy OpenCms modules?

Stephan Hartmann hartmann at metamesh.de
Thu Sep 4 21:41:55 CEST 2014

Hi Kai

> - What IDE do you use to edit your module resources (e.g. Eclipse, IntelliJ,
> NetBeans, Text Editor, …)?

Eclipse

> - Would you prefer another IDE that you can’t use because of any
> restrictions (e.g. missing OpenCms VFS sync capability)? If so, which IDE
> would you like to use?
No. Having that said my approach is IDE agnostic - it is not
implemented as an IDE-specific extension but as an OpenCms extension

> - How do you sync your module resources from your IDE to the OpenCms VFS and
> vice versa (e.g. IDE plugin, OpenCms Synchronization, WebDav, Network Share,
> Cut & Paste)?

I've written an OpenCms VFS driver that maps RFS resources (files from
the hard drive) into OpenCms.
https://github.com/stephan-hartmann/opencms-rfs-driver
There is no synchronization process at all. Create a new file in your
IDE and it is in OpenCms.
JSPs are served by a new JSP loader (-> easy to debug in your IDE),
binary files (almost no size limit!) by an improved Dump loader that
supports streaming and partial content requests.

> - Do you use a version control system and if yes, which (eg. Git, svn, CVS,
> …)?

Git, SVN

> - How do you build module classes (e.g. javac, integrated IDE build system,
> Maven, Gradle, …)?
IDE build system and/or Ant tasks

> - How do you package your modules to module zips (e.g. manual module export
> from OpenCms, IDE plugin, Maven,  Gradle, …)?

Can leave it unzipped in the RFS

> - How do you deploy modules to integration and/or production environments
> (e.g. manual import of module zips in OpenCms, copy & paste of changed
> resources, automated deployment using CI, …)?

check-out unzipped from Git

> - Do you use Continuous Integration for OpenCms modules and if yes, what
> tools do you use (e.g. Jenkins, Hudson, Bamboo, …)?

Cruisecontrol

Best regards,
Stephan