[opencms-dev] OpenCms Plugin for IntelliJ: Boosting the sync performance with OpenCms 9.5

Kai Widmann Widmann at mediaworx.com
Thu Dec 11 12:08:50 CET 2014

To all developers using (or planning to use) the OpenCms plugin for IntelliJ with OpenCms 9.5,

I've just started working on the first "real life" project with OpenCms 9.5 and I noticed that the sync performance of the OpenCms plugin for IntelliJ is much worse than it was with previous OpenCms versions. It's really really slow.
The reason for this is that OpenCms 9.5 uses a new password encryption algorithm (scrypt) that is deliberately slower to improve security. Slower encryption, less chances a brute-force attack will succeed.
Since security doesn't matter on local development machines (that usually aren't accessible from the outside world), but speed is of the utmost importance for developers, we've found a way to use the older, less secure but faster "MD5" algorithm. Here's a guide how to do this:
https://github.com/mediaworx/opencms-intellijplugin/wiki/5-Usage-Hints#boosting-the-performance-with-opencms-95

Right now we're thinking about switching from CMIS to the CmsShell or the VFS network share for syncing, but we don't know if and when it will happen.

If you've never heard of the OpenCms plugin for IntelliJ but you think that it might be interesting, check out the plugin's wiki at
https://github.com/mediaworx/opencms-intellijplugin/wiki

Cheers

Kai Widmann

Kai Widmann