[opencms-dev] Upgrading from 7.5.4 to 9: best practices

Schliemann, Kai K.Schliemann at comundus.com
Mon Feb 9 12:02:50 CET 2015

Hi Roman,
welcome back to OpenCms!
I would try to do a fresh install of 9.5 or 9 and import all your modules into it.
If necessary, activate the xmlpage explorertype in WEB-INF/config/opencms-workplace.xml
After that, import all your content.
You can now start adding the new editing features to your templates.
When finished, you can start to replace your content pages with the new containerpages.

Take care, that you have enough Xmx (1024m should be ok)  when you install OpenCms 9.x.

If you do not have any custom code / widgets, your upgrade should work well. If you have written your own contentload collectors, you should consider replacing them by Solr queries.

HTH
Best regards
Kai