[opencms-dev] Feedback for deployment on GlassFish

Jan Michael Greiner jan0michael at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 24 11:30:20 CET 2015

Dear all,

Feedback for deployment on GlassFish.
Glassfish 4.1
OpenCms 9.5.2 (9.5.0???)

The following is not pure science (not repeatedly tested), just feedback after some trying.

1.) It works :-)

2.) Not 100% sure about this one: It is not possible, to assign more than one virtual server to the OpenCms Application.

See the attached snippet from Glassfish server.log (server.log-jax-ws.zip). I have the impression, that maybe the following is caused by assigning more than one virtual server:

org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Manager has not yet been started

org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Servlet with name Dynamic JAXWS Servlet does not have any servlet-class or jsp-file configured

Exception while loading the app

Shutting down OpenCms, version 9.5.0 in web application "opencms"

Shutdown completed, total uptime was 00:00:38.

Could be related to this:
http://lists.opencms.org/pipermail/opencms-dev/2013q1/037818.html

It would help to register OpenCms to more than one Virtual Server, to at distinguish between
a) a virtual server that listens with SSL only for the Workspace
b) a virtual server for the actual Website

3.) If the Webapp is somehow redeployed, without a complete restart of Glassfish (after some config changes or so), it does not work any more.
>From my memory: Web browser window stayed white.

Don't know, if the attached log snippet from Glassfish server.log (server.log-jdbc-forcibly-unregisterd.zip) is related to this.

I just tried to reproduce it (clicked "Reload" in the applications list), but now I don't get the 'jdbc forcibly unregistered' thing. Now I get:
org.opencms.main.CmsInitException: Critical error during OpenCms initialization: Unable to initialize the user driver

See attached log snippets from Glassfish server.log and opencms.log (not-able-to-reproduce_no-error-cause.zip).

A complete restart of Glassfish always fixed this problem...

I have no apache installed. I like java for security reasons, because there are no buffer overflows and so.
(I hope GlassFish and OpenCms are not affected by
http://www.heise.de/security/meldung/Zero-Day-Alarm-fuer-viele-Server-mit-Java-2913605.html )

To fix 2.) I am planning to

- Create a virtual server on an internal port (for example 127.0.0.1:8081) for the opencms webapp alone, that listens for all required host names.
- Put a proxy servlet on all virtual servers that I want to serve content from OpenCms. These proxy servlets forward to 127.0.0.1:8081. If necessary they forge the HttpServletRequest as required.

Best Regards

Michael