[opencms-dev] What is more permanent, Path to resource, Structure UUID or Resource UUID?

Paul-Inge Flakstad paulflakstad at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 13:42:01 CET 2017

Hi Asger,

You didn't mention the permalink, which is a good candidate – it's
basically a kind of UUID, viewable via [right click file] -> Advanced ->
Availability

In code, you can use the getPermalink method(s) in
org.opencms.staticexport.CmsLinkManager, e.g.
org.opencms.main.OpenCms.getLinkManager().getPermalink[...]

The permalink should never change. (At least this is the case for XML
content, a.k.a. structured content. Not 100% sure about detail content, but
I suppose so.)

Alternatively, you could use the structure or resource ID, which is unique
per sibling / shared by all siblings (respectively). Both should survive a
file rename.

Or you can bind by path/URI. This will allow replacing existing files with
new ones, and it's easier to make looser bindings – i.e. EXT-SYS-entry-A
has an implicit tie to /opencms/resource/for/entry/A – but as you already
pointed out, it *might* be too likely to break.

Hope this helps! :)

Cheers,
Paul