[opencms-dev] a question about secure site configuration

Gratian Francis gfrancis2 at cancercare.mb.ca
Fri Jun 29 18:19:12 CEST 2018

Hi List,

So following the apache webserver configuration in the documentation we setup virtual hosts for a secure workplace server "https://opencms.example.com", and an unsecured site "http://www.example.com"
We also put in the rules to serve only secure sites, what we want however is to serve up "https://www.example.com" to all visitors with only the workplace server "https://opencms.example.com" being visible only to those who have a user account for the workplace. One of the things we tried doing is creating a secure virtual host for "https://www.example.com" and redirecting all http requests to https and then having the login and workplace urls redirect to the workplace server url "https://opencms.example.com", which seems to work such that when an account holder logs in they are redirected to the workplace server url and are able to edit the site and use the workplace function, however public visitors are still able to view the site from the workplace server url as if they were viewing it from "https://www.example.com" or "http://www.example.com", went it should only be account holders who can see the workplace url, any ideas on how to fix this? We do not want to restrict access to the workplace via ip range as account holders will be accessing from various devices and networks.

Cheers,
Gratian Francis
Junior Programmer Analyst
CancerCare Manitoba