[opencms-dev] Trying to contribute to the documentation

Alberto Gallardo argrico at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 17:16:29 CET 2018

Dear list,

I've spent some hours trying to find out how to correctly set
the Solr "dataDir"s due to an inconvenient
https://github.com/alkacon/opencms-core/issues/585. I'm
now about to share a commit that allows to override the search
directory (under which those are created) by means of system
properties.

And after expending this valuable time and getting a better
insight in the code, I wanted to also contribute my findings
to the documentation, but (and this is addressed with special
attention @Alkacon):

- Trying to use the "GitHub edit links" on the corresponding site
(
https://documentation.opencms.org/opencms-documentation/more-opencms-features/solr-search-integration/#2.1
)
only brings me to the header elements. Nothing useful I can do
from there.
- Trying to use the "You can improve this page" and creating
the corresponding wiki page, doesn't help either, because when
trying to add links, the MediaWiki activate the reCAPTCHA V1
that is SHUTDOWN.

(I have finally given up the markup of the links:
http://www.opencms-wiki.org/wiki/OpenCms_Documentation/More_OpenCms_Features/Solr_search_integration
)

<cheap-rant>
After this amusing efforts, I'd love to suggest @Alkacon to
improve the means by which we users can contribute
documentation. I don't feel like installing the documentation
modules in any dedicated OpenCms and creating PR to add
a few lines. (And I have to admit that at least I know how to
do it, but I guess that this is not the case of the 99% of
OpenCms users, who won't surely be interested in the
convolutions and intricacies of such a documentation workflow.)
</cheap-rant>

Best

Alberto Gallardo