[opencms-dev] How do I get the first layout area into default index.html after creating new website?

Jochen Graf j.graf at alkacon.com
Wed Oct 20 17:40:50 CEST 2021

Hi Ivan,

Am 20.10.21 um 15:27 schrieb Ivan Drinks Sr:

> OpenCMS is an excellent software application, but simple things make
> it SO HARD to get started with.  One thing that continues to puzzle me
> about OpenCMS is that when you create a new website using the
> Launchpad it creates a default index.html.  Great except you cannot do
> anything with it because it requires you to first move a Layout Area
> to it.  But you cannot do that because you cannot select a Layout Area
> and nowhere in the documentation tells you how to get around this
> problem.  So you delete the website and recreate it using the demo
> site as a template.  Then you have to delete everything in the demo
> site you don’t need hoping you do not screw something up.  Can anyone
> on this mailing list provide a simple answer to how the initial Layout
> Area can be added to the default index.html created when creating a
> new website using the tools in the Workspace without ssh into the
> server?  It would be greatly appreciate!!

In your newly created site, open the site configuration file
"/.content/.config".

In the "Content elements" tab, add the Mercury "Master configuration":
/system/modules/alkacon.mercury.template/configuration/mercury.master.xml

This makes all Mercury contents available for your new site and you can
start adding layout areas.

> As a side note, why not just create the initial Layout Area in the
> default index.html when creating a new website?

When creating pages for a new website, it is even more convenient to
have the layout areas available in "template models". See [1] for more
information. In this way, you do not need to start on the layout area
level for each new index.html.

Best

Jochen

[1]